Wednesday, December 1, 2010

MO-TI-VATE (verb) -- to stimulate towards action



Ahhhh -- what motivates you?  I asked myself this question during my early morning workout today.  So many things really.  Just depends where I am in my journey when I come upon just the right anecdote to propel me and keep me focused, while continuing to move forward.

The past twelve weeks have been quite a challenge for me.  Averaging 1,700 calories per day, I have logged every morsel that passes my lips; I have increased my exercise to two times per day, every single day; I have weighed and measured and measured and weighed every which way but upside down.  Probably tried that too actually.  In any case, I have not lost an ounce nor an inch.  I have tried so hard. At my annual physical I discussed my concern with my doctor, thinking maybe I had a problematic thyroid.  Tests run, and thankfully, it's not a medical issue. So, what to do?  How have I kept myself motivated during this, the longest plateau ever?  Here are a few things that have helped me remain motivated over the past twelve weeks.

Funny, I have a new friend and she's long distance.  I won't name names because I've made so many new, long distance friends.  Let's just say, she's a member of the Old Sames book club.  She has been a wonderful motivator for me.  She's been working hard to keep her girlish figure as long as she can remember.  She's dealing with a plateau herself and at times becomes very discouraged.  When I need someone to let me vent, I know I can shoot her an email and she will reply with just the motivational boost I need to stay focused.  When she says --- Val, you help keep me inspired --- that gives me all the boost I need!

The Biggest Loser has become my saving grace!  I thoroughly enjoy the show and it truly inspires me.  Even though I have to watch it with Sham-Wow in hand each and every week, I love it!  Often times if I'm having trouble getting through one of my workouts (which is nothing compared to Bob & Jillian), I count my lucky stars Bob and Jillian aren't there, in my face, and I continue on!

Believe it or not, sometimes I motivate myself.  Generally this will happen with a new workout or a new recipe.  I thoroughly enjoy cooking and trying new recipes.  It may be attempting a "raw" food or a vegetarian meal, but more often it's just a new dish.  Sometimes it's just setting a goal and reaching it. 

I love success stories.  There's really no better motivator, don't you think?  For me success stories are just that.  They do not have to be weight loss success, they can be success in any regard.  Success is such a big word, it can be in your relationships, your job, winning a health battle, or even receiving a smile from someone.  I have a special someone in my life who is frequently out and about with her daughter.  They play a game.  They seek out people who appear to have trouble sharing a smile.  If they can get that individual to smile, then they have achieved success!  Isn't that cool?  They have made some wonderful friendships this way.  Success simply means you've achieved something you've worked hard for.  It means you believed you could do it!  And THAT is what has helped me stay motivated over the past twelve weeks.  Believing as long as I continue what I'm doing, I will achieve my goal.  The Little Engine That Could said "I THINK I can", I say "I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can, I KNOW I can!"

P. S.  I am happy to report that what really motivated me this morning was being able to fit into my jeans that I couldn't fit into at the beginning of November -- WOO-HOOO!

9 comments:

  1. Val you are a rockstar!!

    After the things you have been through, you could totally sit back and say, that's IT! But you haven't. Not only have you stayed true to yourself and your goal but you have passed that motivation on to others.

    I KNOW you can too!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, two workouts a day! That's amazing. If I can suggest......try lowering your calorie intake to 1500 calories a day. You'd be surprised the difference in cutting back just 200 calories. Keep up the good work - I'm with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a great inspiration, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this blog and love you too. You are a motivator to me ALWAYS! Because of you, I believe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent blog, Val! YOU are the epitome of motivation, my dear sister:) Kathy and I were so amazed at you while we were there! You just go, go, go!! And, you always have! I KNOW you can do it too, because you ALWAYS do!! YOU are awesome<3 and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Val, you are an inspiration on so many levels--thank you for always sharing so much of yourself. I had no idea how lucky I was to walk into the right Starbucks all those moons ago. I so enjoy and cherish your friendship <3 Now, next week I'm going to be learning to swim--not for survival, but for competition. It is going to be hard because Im not good at it and I don't really like it so much. I have agreed to be coached so that I can do a triathlon. I want to show my eldest child that if you work at something, even if you don't like it, you can be successful. So, you may see lots of venting as I flail through the water over the next few months : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Sweet Val!!
    I read through this blog ever so briefly when you posted it earlier this month. (I know, I'm the one that requested it!) :( Then I got busy and never got back to re-read it in detail till now.
    I love your blog, your enthusiasm for life, friends and family! I'm so glad you stuck to your workout routine on the cruise and that you found success in doing so.
    I went in for my annual physical today....told my doc the same things. I log every morsel of food and usually eat between 1300 and 1700 calories a day. She is running the full panel thyroid, but I have a feeling it will come back normal. I say this so that I prepare myself to continue on either way. At any rate the one thing that my doc said which contradicts what an earlier post said is that I probably need more calories with the amount that I work out. She told me I should shoot for 2,000 calories per day. She says that she thinks my body is in starvation mode and is holding on to everything I put in it. So I should eat more!! quality calories of course. But it still scares the daylights out of me.
    Also to boot I am currently on the DL (disabled list) having problems with my lower back again after emptying my office (file cabinets, book shelves and desk) then putting it all back together. My Chiro has used tape to stabilize the muscles in my lower back twice this week and has given me strict instructions no workouts at all except arms and walking with no incline.
    This comment is getting way to long however I still need to talk about Biggest Loser!! I really love this season. I love that the game play for the most part has been kept to a minimum and that they all truly seem to care about each other. And poor Ada...my heart just hurts for that girl. But it looks like there to this experience will help her emotionally and hopefully her family as well. Then I just wanted to die for her when them filmed her going into the porta potty with a stomach ache. I seriously would have been mortified! Well just know that I will be intently following the finale tomorrow night. Just wish I could watch it with someone that had the same passion for the show that I do!!
    Keep up the good work Val! It definitely is not going unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my..I am finally just reading this. I seem to be a huge procrastinator these days with any "new" thing having to do with the computer. You are surely an expert at this.I continue to be amazed by you and your beliefs. I am a "Val wanna be". You have been through so much and yet you continue on with such positiveness. You truly are an inspiration and we are all blessed to be parts of your life. Thank You! xox

    ReplyDelete